Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Television and Head Tracking

There are many things that I could touch base on about the future of television, but by chance I stumbled upon this video on a friends blog. It’s definitely new technology that isn’t mass produced yet, but the more people that view it, the more of a demand it will gain. The idea behind it is quite amazing, and I encourage you to check out the video and see what it is all about. What he does is called Head Tracking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
Basically some guy uses his Wii remote and sensor bar to create a 3D type screen. In the video he explains how he produces a 3D image on your television. It’s like having a picture in a picture frame; when that’s all you have it’s a 2D image, but when you take the photo out, and use just the frame it is essentially creating a window for which you can view things. When I first saw the 3D image on his TV, it freaked me out. I thought it was fake and computer generated. So I asked my brother about it, and sure enough, it is something that can, and has been done.
I think a lot of significance lies within this new innovation because it is going to change the way we play video games, and watch television. We can view something 3D on a 2D screen. Not only will you be playing the game, or watching a television show, you will be IN it. After watching the first video, I was interested to see if there was any further development with the idea. Low and behold, there was Finger Tracking. You should check this one out as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0awjPUkBXOU&feature=channel
If anyone has seen the movie Minority Report, the idea of moving a things around on a screen becomes real.
Some importance that this holds, is it will make it easier to view many things at once, and move them around with the swipe of a finger- without touching the screen- unlike the iPhone or the iPod touch.
All in all, I think this is a GREAT idea and I can’t wait until it is released to the general public as something that is marketable.
Just think of what it might to do those crazy sports fans; being able to move your head and see more or less as if you were there. It's going to be awesome!

No comments: