Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What I learned in Mass Communication Class About Media

I learned a lot of new things about media from this class. The most important thing that I learned is that going into the field of Journalism is not for me any more. I came back to college with the finally decided intentions that I was going to get an Associates degree here at Century College and then transfer to the University to get a Bachelor's degree in Journalism.
I have always enjoyed writing and communicating through writing. My grandmother told me that I would be a great journalist, and I guess my great-grandfather use to write articles for many different papers. Before the semester began I had spoken with a counsselor to help me decide if I should be a journalist or a Nurse. I took the class with intentions of just getting a taste of the field, but when I the class began I was confident I was beginning the long journey of a career in journalism.
Within the first several weeks of class time,I learned the complexity of media and that journalsim today is not what I had imagined for me. Media has evolved into a mess of ceo conglomerates controlling the field of journalism. It's all about money now. I don't want to be a part of that.
It's all about advertising through stories and manipulating the human race. Once I realied that it was not for me, I made a career goal change. I hardly watch television anymore, and I can never believe what I see. I learned to be careful who is presenting the information and who is more credible than others. I think I will stick to believing in the face to face experiences and educated, accredited sources.

No comments: