Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Soup





The Soup (which was talk soup a long ways back) is a T.V show about other T.V. shows. During every episode which is 30 minutes long, not only do the talk about other T.V. shows but also celebrity news. Now this is not a normal recapping of entertainment that has been going on. It will usually pick the ones that have the most interesting (by interesting I mean should not be on T.V.). They hold nothing back when making fun of whatever the situation is. The show is somewhat broken down into a few parts. Starting out it’ll just talk in general about all the stupid programs that are out there, then later on they will go to a segment called reality show clip time, talking about all the reality T.V. shows and just how horrible they actually are, then they have chat stew which is about all the talk shows. What I also like about this show seeing it’s on the E! Network makes fun of all of their shows also. Which in fact they get most of their stuff from because, honestly, all their shows are terrible. The show, because it is weekly, will have the same shows they are talking about every episode which can get very entertaining. The Hills is always on because it is an easy target to make fun of, and pretty much MTV show gets ripped apart and everyone on it. Also, because it is weekly there are running jokes that they will bring up that may have happened months ago and they keep bringing it up and adding something new to it. They will also sometimes take clips that are old and play it when introducing a new clip making it funny if you have seen the prior episode, if not it does not have the same comical effect. However every once in a while they will have special hour long episodes on random days about one topic in particular. The did one on people who won't go away, they did another one called Things your mother wont let you watch.

The comedy I think is quite good, although this is just an entertainment show that rips on other entertainment type shows seems odd. However, they will even at times poke fun at themselves. How they find the clips they play amazes me, and the how the writers come up with ways of making it look like, “what were these people thinking?” The way they bring it about is not just of look what she said or did. It’s more dressed up and somewhat of a hidden humor, the kind where you have to think about what was just said. The show is very appealing in many ways; one is that it’s just funny. Second is the way it is brought about. It is not all just thrown together in a cluster of clips, they neatly put them into categories that will make it better for the viewers Third, there is really something for everyone no matter what show it is, if there is a mishap it’ll find its way and be made to look like it is a bigger deal then it actually is. I believe that this does well enough to stay on the air is because, of all of the new shows are celebrity gossip and as long as that is around i think people will keep on watching it. Also, people in general agree with these new types of shows are just flat out stupid. Or they watch it because it is mindless entertainment and it requires no thought, but you can still get a laugh or two out of it, either way it works.



4 comments:

Jackie V. said...

The description and analysis of this show is very well done. I have seen this show before and like it because of how it pokes fun at shows on other networks as well as the E! channel. They are able to find some clips from shows I have never even heard of and I think that's part of the goal of The Soup; to show how absurd some shows are. By finding these outrageous clips, The Soup makes me wonder who comes up with these ideas for shows and also who religiously watches them. Joel McHale has witty and satirical comments to go along with the clips to make them even more funny.

RoBeastRo said...

I'll admit. i am a fan of "The Soup". When i had cable, "The Soup" was usually part of my friday evening schedule. It makes sense to me that most of the clips they use would be from their own network. Not only is is synergy of their shitty mind numbing programming, but making fun of it might cause consumers of the show to tune in during the week to catch moments that might be aired during "Reality Show Clip Time".

Zach said...

I am a new fan to The Soup. I will admit that my first impression was not that great about the show. I thought it was just another pointless show that E uses to fill up space. However, one evening I was going through the channels late at night and I caught a clip that they were showing about people that won't go away. I laughed harder then I have in awhile and the things Joel was saying about the shows, the actors, and subjects that are shown on some television stations were so true! I found myself looking for The Soup on the guide and it is easily now one of my favorite shows. And just the way that Joel and the writers grab the perfect clips from all the channels and lay them out in episodes that keep your interest for half an hour (or sometimes an hour) is incredible. I will be watching some shows on MTV or VH1 and I will think how a particular clip should be shown for "Reality Clip Show Week"I believe this is truly a great show and very well done!

Matt B said...

I really enjoy The Soup and have been watching since it was called Talk Soup when I was a kid. Joel McHale is one of the greatest "personalities" on TV right now and I think he would make a great talk show host or comedic actor if he ever decides to move on from the E! network. I love the low-budget look and feel to the show, I think the Soup has a similar vibe to Late Night with Conan O'Brien in that way. Joel does a great job introducing each clip and then later parodying it with the assistance of show staff members/interns. I hope to see Mr. McHale expand his career and gain more exposure because he is hilarious!