Friday, September 19, 2008

Facebook.com


Facebook: a social utility that connects you with the people around you. After myspace.com came out, Mark Zuckerberg developed another way to connect you to friends and family all around the world; facebook.com. Basically the way Facebook.com works is you make an account using your e-mail to build a profile for yourself. When you first sign up you use your e-mail as a sign-in user name and create a password. From there, you add a profile picture, enter information about where you work, what school you attend currently, what schools you used to attend, and start searching for friends you may know.
Based on the information you inputted about yourself, facebook.com matches people within the same networks as you to help find people to connect with that you already know. Aside from the basics of information about yourself, and connections to others, facebook.com offers many more applications and time-wasting activities. You can have a bakery and buy "treats" for your friends, or pay a dollar and give them a gift. You can play scrabble, music and movie quizzes, and even make "flair" for your friends and family. Anyone who has a faebook.com account know how annoying these application are. Every day I get at least one invitation to be recruited for a "jetman war" or pending approvals of "bumperstickers".
In addition to your own profile and applications, you can make a photo album and start your own blog in the notes section. Mark Zuckerberg created a brilliant, easy to use networking webpage that has caught the attention of millions-even billions of people around the world ready to spend countless hours wasting time sending cookies, and being asked to build a green garden. On the surface it looks like a decent webpage. It keeps people connected, connects long lost friends, and gives you the ability to make friends based on things you may have in common. But what has this really done to the youngsters of today? What has it done to grown adults? What will it do to the children of the future?
Analysis
I'll be the first to admit that I was part of the facebook.com craze and had a profile that I updated daily, along with "facestalking" others on facebook. I will also be the first to admit that I spend countless unnecessary hours a week tending to my account and keeping it up to date. Originally I used it to keep in touch with a sister in Japan, a sister in Tennessee, and a brother in North Carolina. We could leave messages to each other about how our days were going, and post up the most recent photos and get a little glimpse of what was going on. I still do use it 90% of the time, but I also enjoy make flair for friends, and posting up hundreds of photos. I also use it as a good time-killing. It's easy to spend an hour of two just looking at a few select friends’ profiles without batting an eye at that.
With that last statement I find it both entertaining and a bit disturbing. Of course many of us have much better ways to spend our time, but why spend it working on homework when you can chat live with friends, leave messages and have hundreds of photos right at you finger tips? I think that my generation and for many generations after mine, we will continue to see a decrease in productivity at work, and activity with children. I find this to be very sad but I don’t think that I can be upset about it because I am part of the problem.

6 comments:

Tony said...

I for one will admit i do tend to be a facebook junkie if you will. However I too hate all the applications and mob war things of that nature, but i do agree it has been a good site reconnect to older friends and connect with new friends you meet at school. With the advancements of facebook mobile and all that stuff it has gotten insane, the thing that i find as its biggest flaw isnt the new version which everyone hates, but its the fact that the only way you could have an account if you were in college which i found nice to avoid from any isssues, but now the case is now all you need is an email address so in turn its opening up too many kids in there early teens, but facebook though a site that can get you in some deep water also keeps you connected witht those who may not be as close to you in distance as they were in high school

Alanna RH said...

Your article was done well, however a few questions stick out in my mind: why do you think there will be a decrease in productivity at work and with children? Is it that parents or just people in general would rather "talk" through Facebook, instead of calling, texting or even speaking face-to-face to their kids? As for the productivity at work- do you mean along the lines of exhausted workers who had spent their entire evening on facebook the night before, or that people at work who have office and desk jobs will be slacking off because they're on facebook? Clarify a bit more next time, please. :D Otherwise it's a bit confusing.

amanda jo said...

i use facebook daily too. i think its a good way to keep in touch with people you havent seen in forever. I talked to my brother when he was over in Iraq for that year and it was a good way we stayed in touched. i think it is nice that you can only access this account is if you were in college. I think you did a really good job on writing about this sublect

hachem said...

i rally never used the face book in any form antil i came to the united state. i also think it is a good way to stay connected to your family and friends. now adays i use it constantly to get ypdates from back home about my family,friends and people i left behind. i would like to add that face book also acts as a tool to connect,in my case, to back home in a way that makes feel i never miss any thing that happens in my country. the photos my freind and family posts gives me an idea of what things are.

Nesgoda said...

I think facebook is a good way to stay connected with old friends. For example, my friends and i chat on there as they are away at college. The website can tell so much about yourself. Then again facebook can be a obsession at times, as people are constantly on it. You did a good job writing about it, and analyzing it!

marlena said...

I have a facebook, but I never sign on to it. I'm more of a myspace fan, and I have to admit, I can spend my whole day on myspace just STALKING people. For some reason, I find facebook confusing at times or maybe it's just me. What I really like about facebook is how you can find friends and family easier by just finding the school and you can also find old friends which makes it even better. But great job with the blog!