Monday, May 12, 2008

Public Relations

One of the most interesting things I learned in Mass Communications class was the concept of public relations. I knew public relations professionals existed but I never really knew and understood what they do. People need to remember they act on behalf of the company paying their salary to put that company in a favorable light even though they may be up against an unfavorable issue or negative press.
The use of video news releases and press releases are tools used by PR agents to get their companies in the news. Those approaches work but I never knew they were products of the PR agency to promote the company. They put a positive spin on the company without highlighting any negative effects. They seem like the news station produced them. It makes you questions the credibility of the news station when they use information provided by a company. You would like to think news station is doing its own research for stories and not relying on outside influences.
The one technique I had never heard of is a pseudo-event. Creating an event just for the purpose of getting media coverage seems like they are taking advantage of people’s interest in news stories. It gets company advertising without them having to pay for it. I never really thought about press conferences as staged events for manufacturing news and that they are created to draw media attention.
The public relations area of media is one the areas I know the least about. It has been interesting learning about public relations and the tactics used by PR agencies. It will make me more conscious with my media choices and how they are trying to influence my decisions.

No comments: