Monday, May 12, 2008

media conglomerates

The thing that i found mot interesting about the media, is that nearly everything is owned by major corporations, called media conglomerates. In the exercise that we did in class i found out that the biggest one of all is Turner broadcasting. I really didn't know how much this corporation had until i saw the sheet, the company owned basically every thing. I was surprised to see that Turner had well over one hundred magazine publications, it has some of the most influential and trusted news corporations like CNN and multiple others, not to mention AOL and other major internet sites and services. I really didn't know what kind of power this company had until we started the exercise, and in the exercise there were three products that were looking for a company to advertise their product. I was placed in the Turner category and the product I was trying to win over was for investment managing and so on. I had the competition of two other conglomerates (Fox and Disney), noticing that i had the upper hand, being that Turner (my company at the time) had more outlets to offer. Being that most of my outlets were geared towards the older generations, and that the product that was wanting advertising was also geared towards the older generations, I knew that i had the winning ticket.However no matter how much Turner had it still wasn't enough for the other two products. As it turned out I was the only representative to gain a product. Any way the exercise helped me gain an understanding of how much of our media is owned through major conglomerates, and it also gave me an understanding of how the companies market themselves out to people to gain profit. With this realization, I am more aware of how media works, this gave me an incite on how big the media is, and that it controls more then you would think.

No comments: